los angeles scoliosis doctor
What Are The Causes Of Scoliosis
Most people think scoliosis is a disease. However, it is not a disease but a disorder of the spine. It is a condition where there is an abnormal curve in the spine. The curve can occur at any part of the spine but the common areas where the bend occurs are the upper-back area and the lower back area.
There are different types of scoliosis but the severity of the disorder is determined by the curve degree. In most cases, the condition can affect the posture, cause back pain and affect organs such as the lungs and the heart.
What are the symptoms of scoliosis?
Scoliosis symptoms may differ from one person to another. It mainly depends on the cause, the severity of the condition and the type of scoliosis. But the common symptoms are:
• An irregular neckline
• The head not being in-line with the body
• One shoulder being higher
• The hip being tilted to one side and appearing lower than normal.
• Breast being unequal size, especially in young girls. In addition, a person with this condition experiences back pain, headache and after standing or sitting for a long period, they are likely to feel weak.
What are the causes of scoliosis?
Scoliosis is not linked to poor diet, poor posture or lack of exercise. Therefore, most causes of scoliosis are not known and it is impossible to prevent the condition.
If the cause of scoliosis is not known, the disorder is referred to as idiopathic scoliosis. Around 80 percent of scoliosis cases are unknown. But according to research, there is a family history of scoliosis in several cases. This suggests there is a genetic link. Idiopathic scoliosis is the common one and can affect both children and adults. However, it mostly observed in girls than in boys. Also, it is more common in adolescents and gets worse as they grow.
A small number of scoliosis cases, the cause can be known. Some of them are:
1. Scoliosis caused by disorders that affect the muscles and nerves include:
• Muscular dystrophy – this is a genetic disorder that causes the muscles to become weak.
• Cerebral palsy – it is a disorder that affects the nerves and the brain, and it occurs during or after birth.
• Neurofibromatosis – it is a disorder that may cause tumors to develop along the nerves.
2. Scoliosis can develop due to several symptoms that are referred to as a syndrome. This condition is known as syndromic scoliosis. Some of the conditions include Rett syndrome and Marfan syndrome. Fortunately, these conditions can be diagnosed at an early age.
3. Birth defects are other known causes of scoliosis. There are babies who are born with scoliosis. This condition is known as congenital scoliosis. The condition is caused when bones of the baby develop abnormally in the womb.
4. Another rare cause of scoliosis is long-term damage. This condition is known as degenerative scoliosis. It happens when parts of the backbone become weaker and narrow due to age.
Treatment of scoliosis Scoliosis is normally diagnosed after an examination of the ribs, shoulders, hips and the spine. Once the condition is suspected, the patient is referred to a specialist for further tests and for treatment. Typically treatments options include observation, casting, bracing and surgery.
Here at Spinal Solutions we offer innovative, state-of-the-art non-surgical, non-bracing scoliosis treatments. We have a very high success rate at significantly reducing our patient's spinal curve. Call us today to schedule your free consultation.